miércoles, 29 de agosto de 2012

Natural Disaster Interview (3)


Reporter: Enzo Calquín
Interviewee: Andrea Saldivia

Can you tell me what happened?
My house was completely burned by the lava. I saw my neighbours running so I started to run too, that’s what saved me. So here I am, alive but scared. I lost everything, my new house, my car!
How are you right now? Do you know if your family is fine?
Actually, I'm fine but a little exhausted. All happened too fast! My family is OK. I could not communicate very well with them but, they texted me and they are in good condition. They wrote me they were going to a shelter with the rescue team who had picked them up in their house.


Did the rescue team tell you to do anything to protect yourself or to be safe?
I really haven't come around yet, they might have forgotten us... We are in this little village and phones are not working. I'm scared because I don't know what to do; I don't know where to go. I need to know what we are supposed to do now.
Have you talked to some of the people from the zone?
I've encountered some people who told me we should evacuate immediately because it was getting too dangerous, and not just due to the lava and ash that are coming down, but from people who have lost their mind and freak out in moments like these.
What do you mean?


They are robbing houses from people who already evacuated in their own cars. There’s not many of us left here, so we can’t do anything to stop it.
About the volcano, do you know at what time it erupted? 
Well, I woke up at 7 o'clock because of my neighbors’ screams and shouts. When I got out of my house the lava was already touching and burning my house. So, I really don’t  exactly know.
You didn’t hear any sound coming from the volcano?
No, at least I didn't hear anything loud. But later, I saw some lighting above the volcano and that lasted about 30 minutes. Then the streets and houses started to get fill with ash.
Do you know about what time did it happen?
I don’t know, probably around 9 a.m.
Could you tell me what are your feelings right now? 
OK, well, now I'm pretty anxious, my family told me they were well but that was almost three hours ago. I just hope they are fine. I'd love to help my neighbours saving their belongings, they have worked so hard to have their dream home and this stupid volcano is taking it all from them. We haven’t heard any official decision about what to do yet, so we are hoping for the best. Many of us have already lost our homes, so we hope to get some help from the government.
We’ll make sure that happens. Thank you for your time.
Thank you.

1 comentario: