lunes, 15 de octubre de 2012

Lily & Marshal (himym)

So, I was watching this chapter of “How I met your mother” (himym) in which a young couple was about to get married but failed to do it. It has a lot to be talked, according to me. Hope you like my thoughts and if not, feel free to argue!

About the chapter:

Few weeks before the wedding, Lily, wife of Marshal, decided to postulate secretly to an art course in other country. She did it this way because if she had been accepted she would have had to travel and cancel the wedding. Lily wanted to know if she could be accepted, since her dream was to be a painter. Situation that Marshal did not know. Once that Marshal realized of her acceptance, they had to broke up due to Lily's dream. Despite of their huge mutual love, they had different intentions. Finally, Lily choosed to take the course mercilessly and the wedding was cancelled, circumstance that would hurt Marshal real bad. Lily knew she would broke Marshal's heart and being aware of that she still went to the art course, destroying love between them. Over time, Lily recognized she made a mistake and returned to Marshal's house to ask for his forgiveness. Marshal kept his stance and said no to her, they had something and Lily did not care about it. 

My thoughts:

I can not understand why a person who is happily engaged would sacrifice everything just by simple whim. Moreover, why would she think she could return and expect all things to be like it used to be? She needs to accept the consequences and accept Marshal's attitude. What Marshal did was completely fine. I can figure out Lily's wish to do her own stuff, but obviously she did not think too much about it. Her individuality was quite unpredictable and finished with more than one disappointment. Maybe if she had give priority to more important things, the end would have been different.

Anyways, hope you could comprehend what I wrote.

6 comentarios:

  1. Enzo:
    I'm glad you took the idea to write about this HIMYM chapter.
    I found some grammar mistakes but I rather give you my opinion in the matter.
    Let's give it a little context. Lily and Marshall have been dating since 1st year of university. Lily's dream since then and before was to become a painter even though she wasn't good at it. She ended up teaching in a kindergarten school. While Marshall ended up doing everything he wished for, a lawyer. Until the break-up they’ve been together almost 8 years.
    I take Lily's side. They were engaged in this relationship too young. Marshall made his dreams come true, but Lily couldn't. And when she saw a chance to do something just for her, not for both, she took it. If she hadn't gone away, the relationship wouldn't have lasted either. When one side doesn't feel accomplished as an individual, to work as a couple would've been impossible.
    I’ll not be a spoiler because I’ve already seen what comes next. I’ll tell you this. Love understands love for oneself.
    ASM

    ResponderEliminar
  2. No spoiler in here lady! Lily understood that love for oneself can be found when is shared. Easy as that, Miss Andrea. But I know your feeling sistah. She wanted to be happy by herself and couldn't. Hey, but what do I know, maybe at the end of this season I'll understand more things.

    See you later!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. I don't watch HIMYM, I give it a try with a couple chapters and it started to feel kinda lame to me. I'd rather watch "The Office". Anyways, by reading what you have written I think that the main problem here is "Communication". They could made both things, the course and the wedding if they had shared its feelings and thoughts. Many problems are generated for lack of communication, and many more could be solved by effective communication. Maybe the secret of a perfect couple is not love, but communication, and maybe it is the same thing.

    Greetz

    P.S: When are you growing some balls?

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Hahaha douche... Well, to each his own.

    ResponderEliminar
  5. I always see this series, I love it! in this chapter Lily gave me very angry, actually she is my least favorite character. I love Barney!

    ResponderEliminar